The Moorestown Library welcomes the community to the Library for reading, studying, using library
materials and services, participating in library events and conducting other customary library business.
The Library strives to provide an atmosphere conducive to the safe and orderly use of the facility and
requests the cooperation of patrons in refraining from behavior that disrupts library services. Parents or
guardians, not Library staff, are responsible for the safety, care and supervision of their children at the
All persons must leave the Library premises by closing time, when evacuation of the building is
necessary or at any time when requested to do so by Library personnel.
The following activities are not allowed in the library:
- Consuming food or drink in a way that creates messes, smells, noise, or that disrupts others.
Drinks must be in a lidded container. Food and drink are not allowed in the New Jersey Room.
- Using a personal audio or communications device so that others can hear it.
- Use of tobacco products or e-cigarette devices.
- Carrying a weapon into the library unless authorized by law.
- Bringing animals into the library except those needed to assist a patron with a disability or for a
special library event.
- Misusing the restrooms (i.e., using as a laundry or washing facility).
- Leaving a child under the age of ten unattended in the library without the supervision of an
adult library user.
- Use of rollerblades, roller skates, skateboards, wheeled shoes, or sports equipment in the
library. Patrons are asked to store skateboards, scooters, basketballs, or similar items at the
- Talking loudly, making noise or engaging in other disruptive conduct, such as argumentative
behavior with other patrons or staff, especially the use of loud, obscene or abusive language; or
using a personal computer, tablet, cell phone, or other device that disturbs staff or the public.
- Any behavior perceived by staff or another patron as sexual harassment, invasion of privacy,
voyeurism, petting; or staring at another person with the effect of harassment to that person,
by following another person about the building with the effect of harassment to that person, by
behaving in a manner which reasonably can be expected to disturb other patrons, or other
- Photography or filming on the library premises without the permission of the Library
administration and any individuals or groups being photographed.
- Interfering with another person’s use of the library or with the library personnel’s performance
of their duties.
- Going without shoes and/or a shirt.
- Damaging library property.
- Stealing library materials.
- Threatening or physically harming staff or patrons.
- Violating local, state and federal laws, including those regulating conduct in public places and
Individuals who violate this policy may be asked to leave the library immediately.
Persistent or severe violations of the Library’s rules may result in the Library Director denying the
privilege of access to the library.
If further action is required, the matter may be referred to the Moorestown Police Department.
Any library patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by writing to the
Board of Trustees.
Amended and Approved by the Library Board of Trustees, July 2021